BTEC Extended Diploma in Sport
Duration: 2 Years
What are the entry requirements?
5 GCSE's at Grade 4+ including Maths and English or BTEC First Diploma at Merit Level plus a successful interview and satisfactory references.
Assessment is by a combination of coursework and external assessment.
Why study this subject?
This programme is equivalent to 3 A Levels and provides direct access to university.
Learners cover a variety of different topics, which include:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Exercise & Physiology
- Sports Coaching
- Fitness Testing for Sport and Exercise
- Sports Nutrition
- Psychology for Sports Performance
- Sociology of Sport
VTCT Level 2 Diploma in Sports Studies
Duration: 1 Year
The VTCT Level 2 Diploma in Sports Studies (QCF) is a vocational qualification that will support progression towards Level 3 qualifications. This qualification is designed for learners aged 16 years or over and provides the necessary knowledge, understanding and skills to pursue a career in sport and related disciplines. This qualification covers the core topic areas of sport including: anatomy and physiology, performance psychology, planning and leading activities and business skills.
You will also have the opportunity to further develop your understanding and skills by selecting a number of optional units which include: fitness testing and training, effects of exercise on the body systems, nutrition for sports performance, managing a sports career, sports injuries, sport and leisure facility operations, technical skills and tactical awareness and planning and running a sports event.
Candidates are expected to have completed up to five GCSE’s with English and Maths at a minimum of grade 3, you are also expected to have a keen interest and desire to pursue a career in sport, active health or fitness.
Assessment is by coursework. There are 4 mandatory units and a minimum of 2 optional units to make up the course structure.
Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport
Level 2 Diploma in Health, Exercise and Fitness Studies
Duration: 1 Year
Why study this subject?
This qualification is aimed at the learner who wants to pursue a career in the health and fitness industry as a fitness instructor in the context of gym-based exercise.
A good level of physical fitness and a keen interest health related studies is desirable. Also 4 GCSE's at 3 or above including Maths or English, plus a successful interview and satisfactory references.
Multiple choice written exam, practical observation and written work products.
Level 3 certificate in personal training.
Learners will cover:
- Anatomy and physiology including; the heart and circulatory system, the respiratory system, structure and function of the skeleton, musculoskeletal system, postural and core stability, the nervous and energy systems and their relation to exercise.
- How to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments, including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults.
- How to programme safe and effective exercise for a range of clients, the health benefits of physical activity and the importance of healthy eating.
- How to communicate with clients effectively, and motivate clients to adhere to exercise.
- The skills and knowledge required to plan and prepare a gym-based exercise programme with apparently healthy adults - both individuals and groups. This may include young people in the 14-16 age range, provided they are part of a larger adult group. Client groups also covered are older adults, ante and postnatal clients and disabled clients provided the relevant contraindications and key safety guidelines are observed.
Sixth Form - A Level Options
It is possible to study traditional A Levels, such as Business, English or Science, and still play for the football academy. Students who opt for this pathway will be required to follow the Sixth Form timetable rather than the separate football academy schedule, therefore forsaking some of the benefits that football academy students receive. Students who select the main Sixth Form option will still train and play matches with the rest of the academy. For more details on the wider selection of A Level courses on offer please visit http://www.sandwich-tech.kent.sch.uk/128/sixth-form-prospectus