Diploma in Health, Fitness and Exercise Instruction
Duration: 1 Year
Learners will also complete the following additional qualifications:
- Award in Nutrition for Healthy Living
- Certificate in Fitness Instructing - Gym-Based Excercise (Pathway 1)
- or Certificate in Fitness Instructing - Exercise to Music (Pathway 2)
What are the entry requirements?
GCSE Maths and English at Grade D or above are desirable. There are no other specific entry requirements, although learners must have a good level of physical fitness and a willingness to be involved in physical activities. All applicants must attend an interview and be able to provide satisfactory references.
Assessment is by a combination of multiple choice examination, portfolio of evidence, practical demonstration/assignment and written examination.
Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training (learners must hold a Level 2 Certificate in Gym-based Exercise)
Level 3 Diploma in Exercise Referral for Specified Controlled Certificate in Personal Training.
Level 3 Award in Programming and Supervising Exercise with Disabled Clients.
Why study this subject?
This qualification is for those learners wishing to pursue a career in the health and fitness industry. The content of this qualification is varied and industry specific:
- Anatomy and physiology covering the heart and circulatory system, the respiratory system, structure and function of the skeleton, musculoskeletal system, postural and core stability, the nervous and energy systems and their relation to exercise
- How to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments
- How to communicate with clients effectively and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise
- The subsectors that make up the active leisure and learning sector
- An understanding of the Principles of Customer Service
- An understanding of the Diet and nutrition for healthy living
- How to plan and prepare group exercise sessions
- How to programme a variety of safe and effective exercise sessions for a range of clients
- How to instruct a variety of exercise sessions